Friday, November 25, 2011

Just Another Thanksgiving Column...

It’s a new Thanksgiving tradition in my family to drive from Jacksonville to Atlanta to stay with my sister Allison and her family. Thanksgivings became sketchy after the death of my mother. One time my father and I went to the downtown Denver condo of his then flame and had it with her family. There was no joy as football was forbidden and it was seen as a great compromise to even watch the Broncos who were playing the Lions that year. Another year, Dad and I bought a pre-made turkey that we had to heat up in the microwave. The last Thanksgiving we spent together, I cooked him ham steaks and his precious orange Jell-o salad. He loved to spread mayonnaise on the salad which is still at the top of the list of the most disgusting things I’ve ever tasted.

But this year I’m more thankful than ever for family and even in my depressed haze I’ve realized that there’s more to be grateful for…

I’m thankful for Chunky Bars. Those that don’t like raisins and chocolate have no soul.

I’m thankful that the fates conspired to have John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison live in the same neighborhood in Liverpool.

I’m thankful that soccer isn’t the most popular sport in America.

I’m thankful for Walt Simonson being the nicest comic book professional on God’s green earth.

I’m thankful that the Muppets are cool again.

I’m thankful for Coke Zero. This is the one thing that Glenn Beck and I agree on.

I’m thankful for Jon Stewart keeping people honest.

I’m thankful that Mr. and Ms. Marx had five sons, four of which became the Marx Brothers. I’m also thankful that Hal Roach paired Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

I’m thankful that Dave Krieger writes for The Denver Post. It’s good to have sanity represented.

I’m thankful for timelessness. Bugs Bunny will never get old.

I’m thankful for Herman Cain. He’s a satirist’s dream.

I’m thankful for Dan Issel. I just wanted the big guy to know that there’s still one fan left.

I’m thankful for Pearls Before Swine, Cul de Sac, and Get Fuzzy. The art of the comic strip isn’t dead.

I’m thankful for Jim Ross, I just wish the right people were.

I’m thankful for indoor plumbing. Ye olde golden years must not have been pretty.

I’m thankful for Sam Calagione and Garrett Oliver. I’m also thankful that Jacksonville has three more breweries than I thought it would. It has three.

I’m thankful for music. There are some genres that I could do without, but music is the sum of all its parts, even Yngwie Malmsteen.

I’m thankful that what I said when I was going to Parker Junior High School came true. I’m nearly forty and still listening to Rush. Stryper on the other hand…

I’m thankful for Champ Bailey because there’s at least one Bronco who isn’t a fad.

I’m thankful for Youtube, not because of cute animals and people falling on their asses, but because it’s a virtual Music on Demand service.

And most of all I’m thankful for my family, friends and the dogs in my life. Life wouldn’t be the same without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment